Saturday, October 29, 2011

Where do I get started?

Perhaps I could define for myself the term "political viewpoint". This only has one good interpretation for me. A political viewpoint is how a person thinks a government should run. I imagine each person's is unique since everyone else should unite in fulfilling that one person's needs.

I was once asked the question "What is freedom?". This seems like a simple question, and maybe it is. They furthered their question by posing the scenario: If you are the only person on earth you have total freedom to do anything you wish. You get hungry... kill an animal and eat it. Eat whatever, go wherever, you have no obligations or restrictions. So what happens when another person enters the picture. Now you might eat their pet, or poop on their bed. You may not ever see them, but if there will be sharing of any space there will inevitably be some kind of order to be kept (or you kill the other person and go back to the beginning of the scenario).

I know what you are thinking, but before you go and off the rest of the species, you may want to consider the things you are not free to do when there is no one else around. Like spill your soda on somebodies lap. I know this is a bit of an exaggeration, but what is to keep someone from getting rid of whomever they please in order to have their freedom. This is what I believe is the most basic purpose for people to unite and govern themselves. You should not have to let have the freedom they want at the expense of your own. In the declaration of independence this idea is stated much more eloquently. I believe that if a government does not protect the vulnerable from the opportunistic it has failed. I do not necessarily think it needs to save people from themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment